Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Lump

Don’t tell me not to wait for the other shoe to drop.

In my life it always does.

And it has

again.

I don’t want nor need this lesson

again.

Don’t tell me to look on the positive side.

I don’t need coaching.

I know the drill.

I’ve withstood plenty

earned my stripes

so don’t tell me it’s all going to be o.k.

o.k. would be that it not to have happened at all.

In my story

life doles out snippets of respite

moments to come up for air

but

not for too long

before

yet again

the other shoe.

I stand in the middle of the room

with no one to call

because

I would call her

but can’t

because

this is happening to her.

And

again

life comes into sharp focus.

But

I don’t need this lens

I’ve looked through it plenty.

The waves of the North Shore that come only in winter

wash over me this summer’s day.

Again.

alb7/22/09

2 comments:

  1. I've just read this for the third time and still, your words feel like they came from inside my skin. Amy, you blow me away!

    ReplyDelete