Tuesday, August 25, 2009

By Your Pupils You'll Be Taught


This past weekend I flew to Steamboat Springs, Colorado to attend the wedding of one of my beloved former students, Zack and his partner, Kevin. The wedding, symbolic in its meaning, was an intimate affair. Fewer than fifty people. A selective group made up primarily of two loving families, a few supportive friends from college - and two drama teachers. This detail did not elude me. As I sat over looking the beautiful panoramic view of the Rockie Mountains, I couldn't help but reflect on what I would now call the "fruits" of my labor. In my over twenty years of teaching and directing, I have worked with thousands of students. Some I have not seen since their final show or their graduation from high school. But there are those few gems who have stayed connected as they have moved on in their lives. I have known Zack since he was fourteen years old. Half of his life. Someone asked me, "Have you ever heard Zack sing?" I smiled and said, "Yes. I was there when Zack began singing." That is the joy of the drama teacher's journey. You get to be there - at the beginning. Discovering, uncovering and nurturing a student's talent is part of the journey. Being invited to his wedding fourteen years later is one of the payoffs.

Earlier in the year, another former student of mine, Ben, asked me to officiate his wedding. I did. A first for me. As his teacher, Ben always stretched me into new territory because of his immense talent. Our relationship deepened when, only two weeks after starting college as a theatre major, Ben's father committed suicide. I was the first person he called when he got the news. Thirteen years later, I stood before he and his bride, as they exchanged their wedding vows. One of the greatest honors of my life.

I believe both of these stories are a testimony to the kind of deep, lasting relationships that are forged in high school drama programs.

Theatre on Purpose is not about fame and fortune. It's not about Broadway or American Idol. It's about knowing who you are. It's about authenticity. It's about courage. It's about relationships. It's about life. And as for this drama teacher, the lessons have been abundant.

1 comment: