Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Stone Age

Insomnia.
It is raining.
The cat is curled up on the corner of the bed.  Asleep.
 I am not.
I have a few things on my mind.
I should not have eaten teriyaki last night.
Salty.
I am trying not to think about being thirsty.
No water after midnight.
It's only one.
Long way to go till I can drink water again.
Pretend I am lost in the desert.
The rain teases me.
Water. Water. Water.

The Titanic sailed one hundred years ago. 
On April 13th, the people aboard had no idea that on April 14th 
they would hit an iceberg.
Life is like that. Lots of icebergs.
One hundred years ago, yesterday, tomorrow-
we just never know what lurks beneath the surface.

One doesn't always know a kidney stone is there lurking in the body
until one feels the unmistakeable pain of that tiny rock moving down the ureter.
That something so small could cause so much pain is amazing to me.


Louise L. Hay, the holistic health guru, says in her book,  Heal Your Body,
 that kidney stones are "balls of unexpressed anger."
Gee. I didn't know I was so angry.
I've lost count of how many kidney stones I've had in my life time.
My first was thirty-five years ago when I was eighteen.
I'm having lithotripsy at eleven in the morning to dissolve all that "unexpressed anger. "
To pulverize it with up to 300 electrical shocks to my kidney.
I think therapy is less painful
but I guess calcium is harder to crack than the psyche.

An iceberg sank the Titanic.
A tiny stone can bring you to your knees. Ask Goliath.
Or me.
None of us is unsinkable.

Water.

























1 comment:

  1. my thoughts and prayers are with you. It may not be easy to smile but if you look at the doc and say "give em hell" with a smile you'll feel a little better.
    good luck

    ReplyDelete